A giant forest fire in the forward’s homeland killed two people and destroyed around 400 homes
Tottenham forward Heung-min Son has donated around £100,000 in aid of fire victims in South Korea.
A deadly forest blaze has swept across the north-eastern region of the country, with two people confirmed dead.
Hundreds of others have been left homeless by the disaster, which authorities have described as one of the largest fires in the country’s history.
Son is one of the greatest footballers South Korea has ever produced and a national icon in his homeland.
He guided the country to glory at the Asian Games last year, which saw him avoid military service, and also captained the national side to a 2-0 victory over Germany at the 2018 World Cup.
“It’s nothing compared to what the victims have sacrificed,” he said after Tottenham’s 4-0 victory over Huddersfield on Saturday.
“Although I’m living abroad, I know what’s happening in my home country.
“I think it’s something I should do when there’s a big disaster in my home country.
LIVE ON talkSPORT
talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here’s what’s coming up on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2…
- Barcelona vs Manchester United (Tuesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- Juventus vs Ajax (Tuesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Porto vs Liverpool (Wednesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- Napoli vs Arsenal (Thursday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Sheffield United vs Nottingham Forest (Friday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Leeds vs Wigan (Friday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Sunderland vs Doncaster (Friday, 5:15pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Norwich vs Sheffield Wednesday (Friday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Newcastle vs Southampton (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Accrington Stanley vs Luton (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Everton vs Manchester United (Sunday, 1:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Cardiff vs Liverpool (Sunday, 4pm) – talkSPORT
“I believe money does not matter. The most important thing is a mind to do something for the victims.”
Spurs travel to Manchester City on Wednesday for the second leg of their Champions League clash, which they currently lead 1-0 thanks to Son’s strike.