Ole Gunnar Solskjaer makes Manchester United history, Chelsea held at home and Burnley beat Huddersfield


It was an enthralling night of Premier League football at the top and bottom of the Premier League.

With Manchester City and Liverpool preparing to face off on Thursday night, the rest of the league welcomed in 2019 with a bang. Here’s what happened…

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer made history

Newcastle United 0-2 Manchester United

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer recorded a fourth straight win as Manchester United boss with a 2-0 win over Newcastle.

Substitute Romelu Lukaku opened the scoring for the Red Devils with his first touch in the 64th minute.

Marcus Rashford made sure of the win

Marcus Rashford made sure of the win

Home goalkeeper Martin Dubravka spilled a fierce free-kick from Marcus Rashford and the Belgium international poked in the loose ball.

The visitors extended their lead at St James’ Park 10 minutes from time when Lukaku passed to fellow sub Sanchez and he picked out Rashford who side-footed past Dubravka.

Bournemouth 3-3 Watford

In what was undoubtedly the most exciting game of the season, Bournemouth and Watford played out a thriller at the Vitality Stadium.

Kick-off was delayed by 15 minutes after fire crews were called to an incident in the East Stand concourse.

The first goal of the evening arrived in the 14th minute of the delayed game at Bournemouth, but it was the visitors who opened the scoring.
Abdoulaye Doucoure played in Ken Sema and his cross was powered home by the head of Troy Deeney.

Troy Deeney was sensational at the Vitality

Troy Deeney was sensational at the Vitality

At the Vitality Stadium, Deeney scored his second goal of the game with a smart first-time finish.

Hornets goalkeeper Ben Foster denied Dan Gosling but Nathan Ake was first to react to the rebound and headed home.

Ake’s goal was quickly followed by a Bournemouth leveller as Ryan Fraser’s free-kick was headed in by striker Callum Wilson – his first goal in six matches.

Watford were back in front from their next attack as Sema lashed in a volley from distance but 60 seconds later the Cherries were level once again with Fraser converting at the end of a neat passing move – the fourth goal in six minutes.

West Ham United 2-2 Brighton and Hove Albion

Brighton opened the scoring at West Ham after 56 minutes when Dale Stephens’ half-volley beat Lukasz Fabianski.

The Seagulls doubled their advantage two minutes later when Shane Duffy volleyed in at the back post from a corner – his fourth goal of the campaign.

Marko Arnautovic celebrates his equaliser

Marko Arnautovic celebrates his equaliser

The Hammers pulled a goal back in the 66th minute when Mark Noble, on as a substitute, spotted the run of Marko Arnautovic who took the ball in his stride, held off his marker and slipped it through the legs of goalkeeper David Button.

And the home side were level shortly afterwards when Michail Antonio cut the ball back to Arnautovic and the forward smashed in.

Huddersfield 1-2 Burnley

Huddersfield, who had scored just four goals at home this season before tonight, broke the deadlock in the 33rd minute through Steve Mounie’s first goal of the season.

Huddersfield’s joy was short-lived as Chris Wood brought Burnley level seven minutes later with his 100th career goal.

Ashley Barnes celebrates his winner against Huddersfield

Ashley Barnes celebrates his winner against Huddersfield

Christoph Schindler was sent off for the hosts shortly before half time as their evening went from bad to worse.

Burnley went in front at Huddersfield after 74 minutes following a neat passing move allowed Ashley Barnes to produce a composed finish to score.

Robbie Brady was sent off for the visitors, who held on for a vital three points.

Wolves 0-2 Crystal Palace

Wolves came into the game at Molineux on the back of a fantastic victory against Tottenham Hotspur at Wembley.

However, they were outplayed by a rejuvenated Crystal Palace side.

Andre Ayew fires home the opener for the visitors

Andre Ayew fires home the opener for the visitors

Palace took the lead six minutes remaining when Jordan Ayew, who looked to be in an offside position, controlled the ball and slotted it into the far corner.

And the result was confirmed when Luka Milivojevic stepped up to convert a spot kick after Wilfried Zaha was brought down.

Chelsea 0-0 Southampton

Chelsea dropped two points in their bid for a Champions League return as Southampton saw out a stalemate at Stamford Bridge.

Eden Hazard was twice denied by Saints goalkeeper Angus Gunn and Alvaro Morata had a strike ruled out for offside as the Blues’ lack of attacking precision was evident once more in the goalless draw.

It was a frustrating night for Chelsea at Stamford BridgeChelsea reached the turn of the year in fourth place, five points clear of Arsenal, but the Gunners’ win over Fulham on New Year’s Day, plus the stubbornness of relegation-threatened Saints, cut their advantage to three points.

View the Original Article