Home Soccer News Las Vegas police issue warrant for Ronaldo’s DNA in rape investigation

Las Vegas police issue warrant for Ronaldo’s DNA in rape investigation

0
13

Investigators have secured a warrant for soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo’s DNA as part of a sexual assault case that was reopened by Las Vegas authorities last year, according to a published report on Thursday. 

The warrant has been forwarded to the court system in Italy, where Ronaldo plays for Juventus, The Wall Street Journal reported. 

Kathryn Mayorga alleged in a lawsuit filed in September that Ronaldo sexually assaulted her inside a Las Vegas hotel room in June 2009 and his handlers obstructed a criminal investigation. Days after the lawsuit became public, a spokesperson for the Las Vegas Metropolitan police told USA TODAY Sports that it had relaunched an investigation into Mayorga’s allegations. 

Cristiano Ronaldo, shown in October, has been accused of raping a woman nine years ago in Las Vegas. (Photo: The Associated Press)

The Las Vegas Metropolitan police did not immediately respond Thursday to a request for comment on the report a warrant had been issued.

More: Chelsea sign Christian Pulisic from Borussia Dortmund; US star loaned back to German club

Mayorga alleged in the lawsuit filed in Clark County District Court that she was at a party at Ronaldo’s room at the Palms Hotel and Casino when Ronaldo entered the bathroom and pulled her into the bedroom, where the alleged sexual assault took place. 

“Cristiano Ronaldo turned plaintiff onto her side and while screaming ‘no, no, no’” the civil suit alleges.

Las Vegas Metropolitan police spokesperson Aden Ocampo said in October that the agency still has the rape kit from the examination from the initial investigation in 2009 and DNA can still be extracted from the kit. The kit was not processed at the time because Mayorga did not seek charges. 

Mayorga said in the lawsuit that she reported the alleged incident to Las Vegas police later that day, but ultimately decided not to name the suspect or pursue charges. Mayorga’s lawyer, Leslie Mark Stovall, said in a statement in October that Ronaldo’s “fixers” negotiated a $375,000 settlement that included a non-disclosure agreement. 

Messages left with lawyers for Mayorga and Ronaldo by USA TODAY Sports were not returned. 
 

View the Original Article

GET MORE NEWS & REVIEWS 

STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX

Subscribe and get interesting sports news to your inbox.

We respect your privacy and take protecting it seriously